Mrs. Carla McCaffrey, Media Specialist
Ms. Stacey Podber, Media Assistant
Contact: Please email Mrs. McCaffrey with any questions.
The Library Media Center at Lakewood Elementary School provides a variety of materials for leisure reading, research, and curriculum support. The main goals of the library media program are to encourage reading and the independent use of information resources and to develop information literacy skills.
Mrs. McCaffrey is available via email from 9:00 am - 3:00 pm every Monday - Friday.
Please visit the Destiny catalog for ebooks.
Students may visit the Media Center before morning announcements with permission of their teacher and their library card.
- Students in grades 4 and 5 may check out 3 books at a time for 2 weeks.
- Students in grades 2 and 3 may check out 2 books at a time for 2 weeks.
- Students in grade 1 may check out 2 books at a time for 2 weeks. One of those books will be nonfiction.
- Students in Kindergarten may check out 1 book at a time for 2 weeks.
- Books may be renewed for an additional 2 weeks. Books can be reserved.
There are 6 networked workstations in the library, along with 30 computers in our computer lab. Each K classroom has 5 student Chromebooks. Students in grades 1-5 have individual Chromebooks. Research activities incorporating electronic resources are planned by the classroom teachers and the media specialist. Resources include online reference resources provided by MCPS, a variety of educational software, productivity software such as Word, Excel, Publisher, and access to the Internet. The State of Maryland and MCPS also provide subscription resources. All Internet activities are under direct adult supervision in adherence to MCPS guidelines.
- Lakewood Student Learning Links
- Online Subscription Services - Home Use - Students please go to your Media Google Classroom for this information.
- Common Sense Media - Digital Citizenship