Student Service Learning Updates
- https://bit.ly/SSLonVUE - step-by-step directions for checking SSL hours
- https://bit.ly/SSLOpportunities - all nonprofit-hosted opportunities
- https://bit.ly/VirtualSSL2020 - all nonprofit-hosted virtual/remote opportunities
https://bit.ly/SSLOverview2020 - SSL program overview slideshow
Here are a few upcoming SSL opportunities to share with students:
- Let’s Talk Respect - October 13, 2020 (6:00 - 7:30 PM) - MCPS student leaders will host a discussion with MCPS staff and Montgomery County agencies about their support for students and families who experience sexual harassment or assault. Students may earn SSL hours for attending and participating in follow-up advocacy action.
- Students must RSVP to receive the direct Zoom webinar: http://bit.ly/RespectRSVP
- The program will also live stream on the MCPS webpage and on the MCPS YouTube Channel.
- Montgomery County Youth Town Hall - October 28, 2020 (7:00 - 8:30 PM) - MCPS SMOB, Mr. Nick Asante, will host the annual Montgomery County Youth Town Hall with the County Council. Students will be able to participate by sharing questions live. Students may earn SSL hours for attending and participating in follow-up advocacy action. Link will be shared soon! Live Streamed on Youtube @MoCoCouncilMD
- MCPS Mental Health Week - October 26-30, 2020 - Students will have opportunities to earn SSL hours for attending sessions and participating in follow-up advocacy action. Stay tuned for additional details!
- The Washington Center for International Education is offering a four-week program titled, “Youth Facing Racism.” This dynamic program has been designed for high school students (preferably with an international background, but all students are welcome). Interested students should register here or email email@example.com with any questions.
The Soda Fund is looking for students to create posters listing the 15 Warning Signs of Domestic Abuse. Interested students may view the opportunity here.
Here are a few wonderful ideas for school-hosted SSL projects! Students may earn SSL hours for engaging in these service projects under the supervision and sponsorship of an MCPS school staff member willing to track, monitor, and supervise the students’ service:
- Kits to Heart - Handmade Art Journals for Cancer Patients
- Operation Gratitude - Digital Letter Writing Campaign and Handmade with Love
- NASSP and DoSomething.org - SSL Campaigns (Get the Filter Out, Diversity Book Club, No-Sew Masks NASSP, and Online Voter Registration Drive) for National Honor Society, National Junior Honor Society, National Student Council, or other student groups
Find tons more ideas and resources in the COVID-19 School-Hosted SSL Opportunities document!