About Greencastle Elementary
School Hours (K-5) 9:00 a.m. - 3:25 p.m.
Students Enter the Building 8:45 a.m.
AM Pre-K & PEP 9:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
PM Pre-K & PEP 12:55 p.m. – 3:25 p.m.
PEP 5 Hour Class 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
It is important that students do not arrive prior to 8:45 a.m., as there is no supervision before that time. Students are considered tardy to school if they arrive after 9:00 a.m. On early dismissal days, students are dismissed at 12:55 p.m. Please telephone the school at (240)-740-1420 to report your child's absence. A written note to your child's teacher explaining the nature of the absence should follow any absence.
Medication and Health Room
Medication will not be administered in the health room unless:
The parent/guardian hand delivers the medication to school,
Medication is properly labeled by a pharmacist, and
MCPS Form #525-13 (Authorization to Prescribe Medicine) is completed by a physician and given to the health technician. This form is available in the health room or at the link above.
Our health room staff (240-740-0781) will be happy to assist you if you have any questions.
Links to MCPS Health Forms
- General Health Room Information -Authorization to Provide Medically Approved Treatment - (Form & Instructions)
- Authorization to Administer Prescribed Medication - (Form & Instructions)
- Emergency Care for Student Diagnosed with Anaphalix- (Form & Instructions)
- School Asthma Management Plan- (Form & Instructions)
- Medication form- (form and instructions)
- Medication form in Spanish-(form and instructions)
Lunch and Breakfast Programs
Children in Grades K - 5 may bring lunch or purchase a school lunch, which includes milk. Milk can be purchased separately. Breakfast is free, through the Maryland Meals For Achievement Plan, and it is served to all students during arrival. Meal prices are:
- Breakfast: Free
- Reduced Lunch: $0.30
- Regular Lunch: $2.55
Applications for free and reduced meals can be completed on paper forms once school begins or at any time online: https://www.myschoolapps.com/Application. Additional information about the program and eligibility can be found here: https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/departments/food-and-nutrition/meal-payments/#FARMS.
If your child participated in the free and reduced meals program last year, your child will only continue to be eligible for meal benefits through the first 30 scheduled school days OR until a 2019-2020 application is processed.
School menus can be found here: https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/departments/food-and-nutrition/menus/.
Parent Drop-Off (aka Kiss & Ride)
- Please note that there is NO PARKING in the school parking lot during arrival and dismissal.
- Traffic should stay in a single file line throughout this process.
- Families may use our Parent Drop-Off Area beginning at 8:40 a.m.
- Cars should enter the drop off area in front of the main entrance of the building and pull forward to the basketball courts. Students will enter the building through the gym doors. Drivers must remain in their vehicles to help with safety and efficiency.
- From 8:40-9:00 a.m., the parking lot will be closed unless you are using the Kiss and Ride. Visitors who would like to enter the building during this time should park on Robey Road and walk to the main office.
- The parent drop-off area closes at 9:00 a.m. The doors to the gym will also be locked at that time.
- The official school day begins at 9:00 a.m. Students arriving after 9:05 a.m. should proceed to the main entrance in the front of the building. Between 9:00-9:05 a.m., students will be sent straight to their classrooms and their teacher will mark them tardy. After 9:05 a.m., families must accompany their child(ren) to the main office to sign them in.
Walkers and Bus Riders
Students may begin arriving at 8:40 a.m. Students should not arrive earlier, as there are no staff available to supervise until 8:40. Students in grades K-5 will assemble on the back blacktop and line up with their class. Cones will be used to designate each teacher’s line. Students arriving by bus will walk around the building to the blacktop. At 8:45 a.m., students will be permitted to enter the building and go directly to their classrooms. Teachers will be in the hallway at that time ready to greet their students.
In case of inclement weather, students in grades K-5 will assemble in the gymnasium using the same process described above. Students arriving by bus will enter through the front of the building.
- Greencastle has a crossing guard. All families needing to cross Robey Road should utilize the crosswalk to allow the officer to assist them and ensure safety.
Grades Pre-K and K exit through the windowed doors closest to the basketball court.
Grades 2 and 4 exit through the solid doors closest to the basketball court.
Grade 3 exits through the solid doors closest to the portables.
Grade 1 exits through the windowed doors closest to the portables.
Grade 5 exits out of the portables onto the blacktop.
Any change to a student’s regular dismissal procedure must be communicated to the main office no later than 3:00 p.m.
Classroom teachers will organize their students for dismissal each day and ensure students are quiet during afternoon announcements. Buses will be called for students to assemble and line up in the gym. Student lines will walk to the front of the building as buses arrive.
Walkers are dismissed from the blacktop entrances. New! Walkers in kindergarten and afternoon Pre-K will use a sign-out system. Parents will line up by the cone labeled with their child’s teacher’s name and sign out their student.
New System for Car Riders!
We will use a number system for our car riders. Each family will complete a Greencastle Car Rider Registration Form* via Google Form or paper and be assigned a number. The number will be placed on students’ backpacks. Parents will place this number on their dashboard so that it is visible through the front window. This will ensure we match students up with the correct car and further ensure their safety.
*Families that complete a registration form via Google prior to Open House will receive their numbers during the event on Friday, August 30th.
Car riders will exit the building at dismissal and proceed to the flagpole area. Students will listen for a staff member to call their number to board their car. Students should only enter a car on the passenger side to ensure safety.
In the event of inclement weather, car riders will assemble in the stairwell near the side entrance and similarly wait until their number is called.
Attendance & Absences
Daily attendance is an important part of your child's success in school. In the rare instance your child must be absent, please call the school by 8:45 a.m. to notify the office of the reason. If the lines are busy, please leave a voicemail with your child's name, teacher, and the reason for the absence. Students should bring a note from home upon their return. After five consecutive days of absence, a physician's note is required.
- AM Absent - a student arrives more than two hours late
- PM Absent - a student leaves more than two hours early
- 1/2 Day Absent - a student is absent for more than any two hours during the school day
- Full Day Absent - a student is present for less than two hours of the entire school day
Birthdays are celebrated at Greencastle with a morning announcement, birthday book and pencil distributed from the main office following morning announcements.
Greencastle Birthday Policy. (updated 2019)
Student Guideline Documents
2019-2020 A Student’s Guide to Rights and Responsibilities
2019 – 2020 Student Code of Conduct
2019 – 2020 Guidelines for Respecting Religious Diversity
2019 – 2020 Guidelines for Student Gender Identity
When to Keep your Child Home from School
To find more information, click here: Keeping Your Child Home from School
Asbestos Regulation Information
Please view the following pdf for information regarding regulation.