Reading and Math Websites
These are websites you can use at home or school. All sites will open in a new window.
This link below will take you to an informative document on how children learn to read. It explains the five components of reading instruction. Please a moment to read this very important article by clicking on the title below!
How Do Children Learn to Read? A Guide to the Five Components of Reading Instruction
- Capstone ebooks Books that the school has purchased which can be read or listened to. Both fiction and non-fiction are included.
- International Children's Digital Library This site has books from around the world in 61 languages.
- Children's Books Are Forever Picture Books by Hans Wilhelm, can be read in many languages.
- Aaron Shephard's World of Stories Short stories and traditional tales that have previously been in magazines.
- Storyline Online This site has actors/actresses reading great literature to students with videos for each book. Each book also has follow up activity suggestions.
- Short Story Time This site has short stories for children ages 0-14. The students can either read the stories on their own or listen to them. They also have various story categories and poems.
- Montgomery County Library Kids Site The public library has a site just for kids.
- Guys Read This site is made to help boys (and girls!) find books to read. It was created by Jon Scieszka, author of The Stinky Cheese Man.
- Starfall This is a great website that helps teach children to read with phonics.
- PBS Kids This website has fun reading games that reinforce language arts skills.
- Math Playground All sorts of math games
- Math Game Time A variety of games to work on math skills, organized by grade level
- Funbrain Over 40 different math games
- Sheppard Software MathArcade style math games
- Interactive Math Sites An online collection of math sites, organized by topic
- Abcya Games to work on number skills, organized by grade level
- Math Dictionary Explains math terms
- KenKen Challenging math number puzzles involving addition, subtraction, multiplication, and/or division