Parent Technical Support Email:
Gaithersburg Middle School
National Junior Honor Society
“The National Junior Honor Society (NJHS) elevates a school’s commitment to the values of scholarship, service, leadership, character, and citizenship...Today, it is estimated that more than one million students participate in NJHS activities. NJHS chapters are found in all 50 states, US Territories, and around the world . Chapter membership not only recognizes students for their accomplishments, but challenges them to develop further through active involvement in school activities and community service.”
Membership in the National Junior Honor Society (NJHS) is one of the highest honors that can be awarded to a middle school student. Our chapter strives to give practical meaning to the Society’s standards of scholarship, service, leadership, character, and citizenship.
Click here to learn more about the five pillars of NJHS
In honor of 2022 MLK Jr. Week of Service, view this presentation to learn more about the importance of volunteering in your community and ways to get involved (even virtually)!
Created by the GMS Chapter of The National Junior Honor Society.
No student is inducted simply because of academic ability. The National Junior Honor Society strives to recognize the total student. The selection criteria are based on the pillars of Scholarship, Leadership, Service, Citizenship, and Character:
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA) based on first 3 Quarters of 7th grade
- *3.0 GPA or higher must be maintained throughout 8th grade year*
- Successfully holding school offices or other positions of responsibility
- Leading in the classroom, at work, and in other school or community activities
- Participating in some service or charitable activity outside of school
- Mentoring and/or tutoring students in the community
- Helping school staff to support our school community
- Volunteering to provide assistance whenever needed
- Understanding the importance of civic involvement
- Having a high regard for freedom, justice, and democracy
- Involvement with such activities as Scouting, community organizations, and school clubs
- Upholding our core values of respect, responsibility, and integrity
- Complying with school rules
Membership is more than an honor. It is an ongoing responsibility and an obligation to continue to demonstrate those outstanding qualities that result in a student’s selection. Membership also carries a responsibility to the chapter. To be effective and meaningful, each member of our chapter must:
- Adhere to the MCPS Student Code of Conduct
- Attend monthly meetings and be actively involved
- Participate in independent and group service activities in our community
(A second application process will take place next Spring for current 7th graders/rising 8th graders)
For questions regarding NJHS or the selection process, please email the NJHS adviser, Ms. Sallack at Laurel_SallackMacupa@mcpsmd.org
The National Junior Honor Society and NJHS are duly registered trademarks of the National Association of Secondary School Principals (NASSP). Unauthorized copying or use of said trademarks is strictly prohibited.