GMS Highlights 9/28 - 10/3
This is Ann Dolan Principal at Gaithersburg Middle School.
Follow Principal Dolan for daily highpoints: on Twitter: @Gaithersburg_MS
Please refer to our website with more details about our upcoming events this week: http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/schools/gaithersburgms/
- Thank you to Ms. Ehrenspeck for organizing instruments and her students for coming to pick up instruments at school this week.
- Thanks to all staff for their hard work in implementing the MAP testing.
- Staff will answer phones from 8:30 AM-3:00 PM.
- Please call 240-740-4950. Staff is limited so please be patient.
Monday, September 28, 2020
- No School-Holiday
Tuesday, September 29, 2020
- Period 5: 9:00-10:00
- Period 6: 10:15-11:15
- Period 7: 12:30-1:30
- Homeroom: 1:40-2:40 (Finish MAP testing, all students should attend)
Wednesday, September 30, 2020-Notes Changes to due Holiday on Monday
- Period 1: 9:00-10:00
- Period 2: 10:15-11:15
- Period 3: 12:30-1:30
- Period 4: 1:40-2:40
- Band and Orchestra students come to GMS to pick up instruments- 2:00 pm-6:30 pm
Thursday, October 1, 2020
- Period 1: 9:00-10:00
- Period 2: 10:15-11:15
- Period 3: 12:30-1:30
- Period 4: 1:40-2:40
Friday, October 2, 2020-Half Day Schedule for staff to complete interim grades
- Period 5: 9:00-9:30
- Period 6: 9:40-10:10
- Period 7: 10:20-10:50
- Homeroom: 11:00-11:30 (Finish MAP testing, all students should attend)
- Band and Orchestra students come to GMS to pick up instruments-12:00 pm-3:00 pm
Technology Issues Change
- If families have hardware problems with chromebooks, please go to 45 West Gude Drive.
- If you need a hotspot, please go to 45 West Gude Drive.
- GMS will no longer be exchanging chromebooks.
GMS Back to School Night
- If you missed the Back to School Night Live Webinar, you can view it here:
- Access Passcode: Yi718+PE
- Check out these Back to School Night videos to learn more about your student’s courses: https://sites.google.com/mcpsmd.net/gmsvirtualback2school/home
Attention band and orchestra students
You can pick up your music book and/or your school instrument from school at the following times this week.
- Wednesday, September 30, 2:00 pm-6:30 pm
- Friday, October 2, 12:00 pm-3:00 pm (half day)
- Parents should accompany their child and parents need to sign a form when picking up a school instrument.
- Signatures are not required for borrowing music books.
- Please contact Ms. Ehrenspeck via email or Talking Points if you are unable to come at these times this week.
- Instructions for joining Talking Points are in each mymcps band and orchestra classroom. Instructions were also sent out in synergy mail.
- Please wear a mask and follow social distancing guidelines.
Online Digital Tools Consent Form
Please complete this short form to allow your child to access a variety of online tools.
GMS After School Clubs
- GMS is offering a variety of free after school programs. Programs begin October 5.
- Please review the list of after school activities and use this link to sign up. Registration is from September 18th - 25th.
- Students should register using their MCPS .net email account
Is attendance in Zoom classes mandatory?
- A student will be marked present in one of three ways:
- Student attends a live virtual class via Zoom
- Student completes an Attendance Check-in on myMCPS Classroom during a live or recorded class
- Student engages in an online discussion thread on myMCPS Classroom during a live or recorded class.
What should I do if my child is going to be absent?
- Contact the attendance secretary, Elsa Banegas, at Elsa_M_Banegas@mcpsmd.org if your student is going to be absent.
- If an absence is not documented, it will be unexcused.
- If a student is absent they have 72 hours to watch the recorded teacher videos posted in myMCPS classroom and must complete the GMS Absence and Attendance Recovery Form. If they do so, a student will be marked as Present-Other.
- Complete the GMS Absence and Attendance Recovery Form:
Current 8th Graders Looking for a Unique High School Experience
- Clarksburg High School is looking for passionate learners to join a cohort of similarly minded students in our APPS and P-Tech Program.
- The APPS program (local school) gives students the flexibility to follow an advanced course of study of their choice, access to extension activities such as guest speakers and field trips and culminates in a presentation of student work during the senior year.
- The Pathways in Network and Information Technology Program (lottery program) is also a one-of-a-kind special Program at Clarksburg High School. Interested in earning an Associate's Degree in Cloud Computing and Networking Technology for free from Montgomery College while earning a high school diploma? If so, join us for our upcoming information meeting to learn about the P-TECH program at Clarksburg High School!
- For more information about both programs join us for our informational webinar on October 1, 2020 at 7 pm.
- Here is the webinar information:
- When: Oct 1, 2020 07:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
- Topic: P-Tech & APPS Information Night Meeting
- Please click the link below to join the October 1 webinar:
- Passcode: COYOTES
City of Gaithersburg Programs:
- The Study Bubble is a club for youth (grades 1 - 8) that offers a safe & conducive learning environment for students during virtual school, while our youth programming is on hiatus. City staff will be on site to offer support to members during virtual learning and lead games & activities when there are breaks in instruction. Members must provide their own laptop, computer or tablet & headphones for classes. Must be a MCPS student. Space is limited. https://www.gaithersburgmd.gov/recreation/youth-teen-activities/elementary-after-school-program
- For Youth & Teen Sports programming this Fall, the City is offering Cross Country, Soccer, Speed & Agility, Ultimate Football, Outdoor Volleyball, and Pickleball. Registration: https://www.gaithersburgmd.gov/recreation/sports/youth-teen-sports
Identity Inc. Family Support
- Identity partners with GMS to provide a wide range of support to our families. Please visit their website if you need assistance with food, rent, health care and more.
- Our PTA membership campaign has now begun. The membership form is available on the PTA website through this link. We are encouraging all parents to join at full membership levels if possible this year .
- We are also encouraging our parents and teachers to be involved in our school and our community by volunteering their time, expertise and talents in one of the following committees:
- Volunteer Chairperson
- Membership Chairperson
- Fundraising Chairperson
- Online Coordinator
- Hispanic Leader
- And More
- Click on this link to learn more about our volunteer opportunities. Please contact Francesca Kalend Kalend at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.
- Shop on AmazonSmile and designate Gaithersburg Middle School PTA as your charity to help support the PTA with every purchase -
- Sign in to smile.amazon.com on your desktop or mobile phone browser.
- Did you know that we are also on Facebook? Please like us on Facebook: Gaithersburg MS PTA
ParentVUE Activation Communication
- If parents have difficulty with activating accounts, or if they do not receive a communication, they should contact the help line at 240-740-7023.
Online FARMS Applications
- ONLINE FARMS APPS ARE AVAILABLE NOW!
- Online application for Free and Reduced-Price Meals!
- FAMILIES CAN APPLY NOW & AVOID LONGER PROCESSING TIMES IN SEPTEMBER!
Maryland State Vaccine Requirements
Background Maryland State requires students receive vaccinations on a schedule determined by the CDC in order to attend preschool programs and schools. Students may be exempted from these requirements if a healthcare provider states that the vaccinations are medically contraindicated or for religious objections. Students entering Kindergarten, or Grades 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 must provide documentation that they have received two doses of Varicella vaccinations and two doses of Measles, Mumps, and Rubella vaccinations, in addition to those they would have received between birth and age five years. Students entering Grades 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12 must provide documentation that they have received one dose of Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis (Tdap) and one dose of Meningococcal (MCV4) vaccination.
Parents/guardians may contact their healthcare provider for a copy of their children’s vaccination records to verify which vaccinations have been received to date. In addition, parents/guardians can view and print their children’s vaccination records at the Maryland Department of Health Center for Immunization website: https://md.myir.net/
All healthcare providers in Maryland now are required to record vaccinations administered on ImmuNet, Maryland’s secure immunization information system.
Appointments are available at:
- Dennis Avenue Health Center, 2000 Dennis Avenue, Silver Spring; Phone: 240-777-1050
- Germantown Health Center, 12900 Middlebrook Road, Germantown; Phone: 240-777-3380
Please send documentation of immunization to Ms. Hardy at Sylvia_Hardy@mcpsmd.org