GMS Highlights Week of June 15 - 21
- Thanks to our staff who helped with student pickup days this past week.
- Thanks to our students for all your hard work during distance learning.
Distance Learning Updates
- MCPS will mail home report cards this week.
Student Schedules for Next Year
- We are already working on student schedules for the 2020-2021 school year.
- At the end of June, a letter will come in the mail from GMS that lists your students course requests.
- Please review the courses and contact the counselor for your student if you have a concern.
Student Support Over the Summer
- GMS counselors are available over the summer to talk with students.
- 6th grade counselor: Fara Moskowitz-Fara_Moskowitz@mcpsmd.org
- 7th grade counselor: Allyson Swailes-Allyson_P_Swailes@mcpsmd.org
- 8th grade counselor: Susie Ikpemgbe-Susie_I_Ikpemgbe@mcpsmd.org
- All grades counselor with last names T-Z: Erica Merrill Oben-Erica_A_MerrillOben@mcpsmd.org
Supporting our Community
We recognize that these past few months have been difficult for many of us in the community. If you are in need of support, we will do our best to provide resources. Please let us know how we can support by completing this google form.
8th Grade Celebrations
- 8th grade student slideshow:https://youtu.be/1mqK4vIVktE
- 8th grade staff congratulations video: https://youtu.be/QSH2MyAoaEg
- Both presentations are on the GMS webpage.
- Students will also receive a certificate in the mail to recognize your completion of 8th grade.
Student Pickup of Materials
Curbside Pick-up & delivery procedure(s):
RETURNING SCHOOL INSTRUMENTS AND MUSIC BOOKS:
All band and orchestra students who are borrowing a school instrument and/ or book, should return them to GMS.
Any school instruments and items that were left at GMS, have already been checked in.
-Please make sure your student name is visible on the case with a piece of tape if possible.
-Check your case to make sure nothing is missing.
-Any other accessories and supplies given to you, should also be returned.
-Remove any personal items.
-Do not put books inside instrument cases.
-Return your music books with your instrument.
If their name label is missing, please use a piece of paper tucked inside the front cover.
PICKING UP YOUR INSTRUMENT:
If need to pick up your personal or rental shop instrument at school, they are labeled and ready for pick-up. You may contact Ms Ehrenspeck to confirm.
Please reach out to Ms. Ehrenspeck via email (Lisa.Ehrenspeck@mcpsmd.net) or using the remind app if you have questions.
MCPS Summer School Options:
GMS Summer UP Summer School
- Format: Distance Learning - Virtual
- Dates: July 13 - July 31 (3 weeks)
- Hours: 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
- 9:00-11:00 Instruction
- 11:00-12:00 Lunch
- 12:00-2:00 Instruction
- Description: The overall goal of the Summer Up program is to improve the achievement outcomes of middle school students by integrating STEM, literacy, fine arts, and social studies over a three week period. The program will support a maximum of 80 students who will be entering grades 6, 7, 8. This is not for 8th graders who will be attending high school next year.
- Online Registration (free): https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf_WvrTktjxEgo3i1dgfzhH9qT4PS4F16vIJUSSthFVnguEdA/viewform
Team of Stars Virtual Summer Camp
Acting, Singing, Dancing, Life, Skills & Stagecraft!
June 22 is the first day of the 3 week
Led by Professional Instructors
9:15AM until 12:45PM
Mondays through Fridays
Campers will write an original script & each family will receive a professionally edited video of the performance!
Space is available, but don't wait!
If you are enrolled in affordable housing through the Housing Opportunities Commission or Making Homes Possible, enter the following code at check-out: HOC-MHP
MCPS Learning Academy Summer School
The Learning Academy Summer School will include free courses for grades K-12 that will focus on recovering curriculum topics that were not covered during school closure and continuity of learning, identifying gaps in learning, and enrichment courses in STEM that are being offered for a discounted fee. Courses will be in session on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursday from 9:00am-11:45am.
- The Learning Academy Summer School for grades K-12
- Crash Course to College to learn about the college/career search process, scholarship offerings, financing college and participate in virtual college tours.
- SAT/ACT will prepare students for these important college entrance exams
- APEX courses will be offered for first time courses and those needed for credit recovery. These courses will satisfy graduation requirements. We will also offer tutorials to identify learning gaps.
- Elementary School students will work on Eureka Math and Benchmarks curriculum topics that were not covered during the MCPS Closure and Continuity of Learning.
- Middle School students will have access to the APEX Learning platform to cover Common Core Curriculum topics and identify any learning gaps in English and math. Once gaps are identified with pre-assessments, the platform will create a prescriptive program of study to address the identified topics of study.
- High School students will be able to choose from
- Enrichment Courses in STEM are being offered for an additional fee:
- CODING students will be learning an introduction and basics to coding using Google CS First and building projects on Scratch. This hands-on computer science experience will keep students engaged. We will offer two sessions. Students will be able to participate in the K-12 Summer School experience when they are not enrolled in the CODING Program.
- Robotics students will be utilizing a virtual platform to learn basic CODING to command a robot.
Summer School will meet every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from July 7th- August 19th. A typical day in The Learning Academy Online Summer School Program will be as follows:
8:50am students log into MyMCPS and enter Zoom conference to get set for learning
9:00am – 9:15am: Daily Opening Session each day of summer school
9:15am – 10:15am – Reading or math instruction (grade level students will split)
10:15am – 11:15am – Reading or math instruction (grade level students will split)
11:15am – 11:45am – SEL or Recreation activity
Online registration is open at www.saturdayschool.org and space is limited. Confirmation and classroom invitations will be sent to student MCPS email address between June 24th and July 3rd. Questions regarding this program can be sent to info@Saturdayschool.org.
Rising 9th graders that are attending Gaithersburg High School next year:
- If you are interested in playing football, please complete the form below.
Summer Chromebook and MiFi:
MCPS will continue daily technology distribution at 45 W. Gude Drive throughout the summer. Students can pick-up Chromebooks and MiFi devices and exchange any non-functioning devices. Any students not returning to MCPS in the Fall can also return devices during distribution hours. Hours are:
- 45 W. Gude Drive
- Monday – Friday
- 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
MCPS Food Distribution at Gaithersburg Middle School Change in Times
- MCPS Food distribution will continue until June 30 at GMS on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 10:00-12:00
- Starting July 1 MCPS food distribution will be Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 10:00-12:00
Manna Food Distribution at Gaithersburg Middle School
- Manna Food Center provides approximately 50 pounds of free fresh and non-perishable food to Montgomery County households once every 30 days.
- Distribution currently takes place every Tuesday and Thursday from 2-5pm at Gaithersburg Middle School, among other locations.
- To sign up, please call 301-424-1130 by 3pm of the day before the pick-up.
- Manna does not work with immigration or report any of your information to the government.
Church of the Redeemer Food Distribution