February 24, 2020
Gaithersburg Elementary School Families,
The following communication is intended to give insight into the decision-making process in preparing for school recovery as it pertains specifically to Gaithersburg Elementary School. As we plan ahead, we must recognize that when we reopen safety will be our number one priority. Thus, the look and feel of our school will be different from pre-Covid.
An Overview of the Student Experience
When factoring three key variables, the number of students returning to the building, the available staff for in-person instruction, and the current CDC guidelines (for more information on the current CDC guidelines click here).
Gaithersburg Elementary will follow CDC guidelines which results in:
- Classrooms will be limited to 12-14 students.
- Students must remain 6 feet apart at all times, including recess.
- Masks must be worn at all times, except when eating. If a student comes to school without a mask one will be provided.
- Students will need to bring their MCPS issued Chromebook to and from school daily.
- One way student traffic in all hallways will be utilized for safety and student movement will need to be maintained at a safe distance and according to signage within the school building.
- No congregating in hallways or on playgrounds will be allowed.
- Brown-bag breakfast and lunch will be served in the classrooms.
- Students will be able to access their counselors during lunch by appointment only. More information will be provided.
- Students will use the restrooms in shifts in order to maintain safety.
- Students will be provided their own school supplies to eliminate sharing of supplies.
- Water fountains will be disabled.
- Hand sanitizing stations will be located at the front entrance and the car rider entrance.
- Hand sanitizer will be provided in every classroom.
- Arrival and dismissal procedures will reflect cdc regulations. More information will be forthcoming.
- Daily scheduled sanitizing of all high touch points throughout the building will occur.
- Evening sanitizing of rooms will occur nightly.
- If any students exhibit Covid like illness they will be escorted to a separate room outside of the health room to wait for a parent to pick them up.
Students who opt for in person instruction during the November - December 2020 survey period will attend on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Wednesday all students will be home receiving instruction virtually. Students who selected in person instruction on the MCPS survey may receive instruction in different models. The model students receive instruction depends on the available staff for in person instruction.
Model 1 - Students will receive instruction via zoom in the classroom with a staff member supporting them.
Model 2 - Students will receive instruction directly from a teacher that is different from their current teacher.
We realize the impact that COVID-19 has had on our community and each of the families within our school cluster. If you have previously decided to attend in-person instruction and at this time have decided to opt-out of in-person instruction for any reason, please do so by contacting the school.
Students will need new instructional materials for Marking Period 3 but we held our materials distribution(s) already!
If your student is still in need of materials please call the school at 240-740-4900 and leave a message. Ms Ryan or Ms. Perez will get back to you and arrange an individual appointment slot. Our appointment avalibility is between 9:30am and 3:30pm Monday - Friday when schools are open.
- There will be no school on Monday, March 8th for Teacher Planning.
- There will be asynchronus instruction on Tuesday, March 9th and Wednesday, March 10th.
- There is a half ay on Friday, March 12th.