Wheaton High School/Thomas Edison High School of Technology Partnership
2021 - 2022 SCHOOL YEAR
Did you know?
Wheaton High School and Thomas Edison High School of Technology are partnering to offer new, comprehensive, four-year pathways in high-demand career programs, offered to rising 9th grade students beginning in the 2020-2021 school year.
New Partnership Means More Options for Students
This new partnership gives students an early edge in preparing for life after high school, while engaging in a rigorous curriculum that integrates core academics with high-demand, high-skill, high-wage career pathways in today’s economy. Students have the opportunity to select a career pathway at Thomas Edison High School of Technology while simultaneously pursuing a rigorous academic program in an academy at Wheaton HIgh School, in a comprehensive, four-year program.
More Programs Means More Choice
- More opportunities for students to engage in relevant and rigorous college and career readiness programs
- Extensive rigorous academic programming including Advanced Placement courses
- Career readiness programs in high-demand fields, including information technology and cybersecurity, healthcare, architecture, construction management and hospitality and tourism management. These programs provide students with opportunities to earn industry-recognized certifications and college credit and may be completed in conjunction with AP courses.
- More opportunities for students to participate in small learning communities where they are supported academically, socially and emotionally.
- New application programs will allow students from a wider region outside of the Downcounty Consortium boundary to apply to one of five selected programs:
- Construction Management and Architecture (Academy of Engineering)
- Healthcare Professions (Biosciences Academy)
- Hospitality and Tourism Management (Global Studies Academy)
- Information Technology and Cybersecurity (Academy of Information Technology)
- Students from the following clusters are eligible to apply:
- Bethesda Chevy Chase
- Downcounty Consortium
- Northeast Consortium
- Walter Johnson
- Walt Whitman
All students interested in the Wheaton/Edison application-based programs must have applied by Nov. 1, 2020
- Jan. 31, 2021 - Invitations to application-based programs were distributed
- Feb. 21, 2021 - Deadline to accept invitation to application-based programs