Parent Technical Support Email:
Student Service Learning (SSL)
Please Submit All SSL Forms to Room 106
The state of Maryland requires all students to complete 75 hours of Student Service Learning (SSL) in order to graduate. Students may begin working on this requirement as soon as they complete 5 th grade. Students earn some SSL hours through middle school and high school courses.
Grade 6: Science
Grade 7: English
Grade 8: US History
Parents should be aware that simply working as an unpaid volunteer does not necessarily qualify as SSL. The rules for where a student may earn SSL hours, how to receive credit for the hours earned, and other topics can be found on the MCPS website:
It is very important that students check the MCPS website prior to undertaking any volunteer service. The website includes a link to the Montgomery County Volunteer Center's list of volunteer opportunities.
Those organizations marked with a graduation cap are pre-approved for SSL.
Students who wish to volunteer at an organization not on the list should submit an approval request to Eastern's SSL coordinator using MCPS form 560-51 prior to serving as a volunteer.
SSL service should be recorded on a MCPS form 560-50 that has been signed by an adult at the organization. Forms 560-50 are due at the end of each semester. No credit will be given for volunteer service in previous semesters.
Eastern's SSL Coordinator is Mr. Nicholas Towson.
Student Engagement Letter
- Monthly April SSL Opportunities
- MCPS Volunteer Response to Covid-19 SSL Opportunities
- MCPS SSL Opportunity with Arise and Flourish
- Students will need to visit the Montgomery County Volunteer Center (https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/volunteercenter/) and in the red box “Find a Volunteer Opportunity”, type in Arise and Flourish. Students will find the volunteer opportunity for the cycle of addiction video review project. This SSL opportunity has been approved by the MCPS SSL department.
- Montgomery Serves
- Small Things Matter is looking for volunteers to help make sandwiches, frozen casseroles, and/or baked goods for families in need to help address food insecurity in our community. For more information, please click on the appropriate link.
- Student-to-Student Extracurricular Series – MCPS is seeking students interested in developing a video presentation with either a leadership moment or extracurricular skill to inspire, teach, and share with their MCPS peers and the greater MCPS community. Students may earn 10 SSL hours for successful submission of all items identified in the Student-To-Student Extracurricular Series Form.
- Jubilee Association of Maryland