Student Service Learning (SSL)
Our current SSL coordinator is Mrs. Diane Loulou. She can be reached in the English office, however the preferred method of contact is her email: Diane_M_Loulou@mcpsmd.org
Verification forms are available in the main office and on the MCPS website. Please visit the MCPS website for FAQ, forms and other information.
Hours that are earned from the pre-approved list require an activity verification formIf the activity you wish to perform service for is not on this list, then you need to fill out a Service Learning Request Form (560-50) prior to performing the activity. Failure to do so may prevent you from being credited for service performed.
Systemwide SSL Timelines:
- Service completed during the summer — DEADLINE: Last Friday in September.
- Service completed during 1st semester — DEADLINE: First Friday in January.
- Service completed during 2nd semester — DEADLINE: First Friday in June.
- MCPS SSL program overview
- MCPS SSL Flowchart
- MCPS SSL Interactive Prezi Flowchart
- MCVC Search Tips
- MCPS SSL Forms and Important Dates
- Benefits of Student Service Learning
- How to Check Student Service Learning Hours on MyMCPS Portal
New opportunity to earn SSL hours.
The Harwood House Thrift Shop in Damascus is looking for students with good computer skills and a desire to help others less fortunate than themselves. Your skills are needed to help list donated items on eBay or Craig’s List. Skills involve cleaning and inspecting items, taking photos, listing items online and responding to questions from prospective buyers. The Harwood House is open Tuesdays from 8:30 – 2:00 and Thursday, Friday and Saturday from 11:00 to 3:00. If interested, please contact Ms. Elizabeth Bradley at (240)988-1064. To get information about this and other SSL opportunities check out the DHS website and the SSL bulletin board in the English hallway
Sports Plus is an organization that offers year-round, uniquely structured, co-ed sports and social programs for verbal children able to follow multi-step directions between the ages of 5 and 14 with mild to moderate autistic spectrum disorders and other developmental disabilities. Both indoor and outdoor programs are offered. Volunteers assist coaches with activities, help with set-up and clean-up, and most of all, provide encouragement to the athletes. Expertise in a particular sport is NOT required, but enthusiasm is. More details can be found at www.playsportsplus.org. If interested in any of the following activities, please contact Diane Golden at firstname.lastname@example.org, and let her know how often you would like to volunteer. And if you want to volunteer with a friend, let her know so you can be scheduled together. Please only sign up for days you know you can commit to.
Current volunteer opportunities:
- American Legion Post 171 in Damascus – Looking for a few students willing to help out with Kitchen Duties on a regular basis (not just a one-time thing) on the first and/or third Thursday of each month during the school year. There are two shifts available: 4:00pm-7:00pm and 7:00pm-9:00pm. You can work one or both Thursdays, and you can work one or both shift times. If interested, please contact Mrs. Sefcik at Donna.Sefcik@mcsservices.com.
- Montgomery Parks – hundreds of Student Service Learning approved volunteer opportunities – many dates and locations – Special Events, Cleanups, Outdoor Activities – If interested, go to www.MontgomeryParks.org/SSL to look for opportunities. You can also email Lynn.Vismara@MontgomeryParks.org, or call at 301-495-2504.
- Montgomery Parks – Natural surface trail work project – To see scheduled dates and locations and to sign up, visit www.ParksVolunteers.org and click on “Search & Apply”, then “Trails”, then “Trail Workdays.
- Circle of Hope Therapeutic Riding – Ongoing dates/times - When you volunteer you are able to work with horses, receive free training, make a difference in someone’s life, plan events and fundraisers. If you would like to learn more, visit www.chtr.org. If you are ready to volunteer or have questions, e-mail Volunteer@CHTR.org.
- Montgomery County Volunteer Fire & Rescue Service – This organization offers opportunities for training as Firefighters and Emergency Medical Technicians. Candidates would join a local volunteer fire & rescue department, all training and uniforms are free. These positions offer training in responsibility, discipline and are a springboard to a career in the Fire & Rescue Service, as well as offering great experiences for students considering careers in medicine, nursing, or health related fields. Jr. Members (16-18 years old) have an amazing opportunity to develop leadership skills and make a REAL difference in their community. Jr. Members work side-by-side regular members on emergency calls and provide rescue and fire suppression services. Some participating stations are Damascus, Laytonsville, Germantown, Hyattstown, as well as many others. For more information, contact Rick Tappan at 301-424-1297, email@example.com, or e-mail www.joinfirerescue.com.
Damascus Community Recreation Center (DCRC) SSL Opportunities
Damascus Rec Center has several SSL opportunities coming up:
Club Adventure After School Program – 3:00pm to 6:00pm (12:00pm to 6:00pm on half days). Volunteers will assist with teaching sports, games, arts, crafts, and assisting the current staff in mentoring children 5 to 12 years old. If interested, please contact Linda Panagoulis at 240-777-6935 or Linda.Panagoulis@montgomerycountymd.gov.
Adopt the children’s garden at the Damascus Community Recreation Center. You can also help with the water schedule and crop rotations. If interested, please contact Linda Panagoulis as soon as possible at Linda.Panagoulis@montgomerycountymd.gov or 240-777-6935 or 240-777-6930. DCRC is looking for volunteers to start in September to work with Club REC from 3:00-6:00 Monday through Friday.
If you are interested, please contact Linda Panagoulis at 240-777-6930 or email her at Linda.Panagoulis@montgomerycountymd.gov
Damascus Rec Center is looking for volunteers who are talented in art. SSL hours will be available for your talents.
Please contact Linda Panagoulis at 240-777-6935 or Linda.Panagoulis@montgomerycountymd.gov for more information.
VisArts in Rockville has various opportunities for students to earn Student Service Learning hours. They are a non-profit arts organization based in Rockville dedicated to engaging the community in the arts and they are always looking for volunteers.
Scholarship money for earning SSL Hours
If you’re looking for an SSL opportunity close to Damascus, please check out the following pre-approved organizations on the SSL website for more details (https://volunteer.truist.com/mcvc/org/dir-y-1.html. As you can see, there are many SSL opportunities close to home, but you are not limited to just these. Remember, if it’s not on the pre-approved list, you must submit form 560-50 for approval before starting your student service learning hours.
Damascus:Academy of St. Cecelia Youth Orchestra, Damascus Community Fair, Damascus Community Rec Center, Damascus Heritage Society Inc, Damascus Sports Assoc, Damascus Theater Company, Damascus United Methodist Church, Damascus Volunteer Fire Dept, First Baptist Church of Damascus, Little Hands Preschool Inc, Damascus Public Library, Montgomery United Methodist Church, Redeemer Lutheran Church, St. Anne’s Episcopal Church, St. Paul’s Catholic Church, Thor Teams, Inc,
Clarksburg:Baha’i Faith, Cedarbrook Community Church, Clarksburg Baseball Inc, Clarksburg Sports Assoc Inc, Clarksburg United Methodist Church, Red Wiggler Community Farm,
Laytonsville:St. Paul UM Church, Town of Laytonsville, Young Life Montgomery County
Boyds:Boyd’s Historical Society, Boyd’s Presbyterian Church, Great and Small, King Barn Diary Mooseum, Maryland Soccer Foundation, Montgomery County Correctional Facility, Star Gazing Farm, Tutor for America Now Org
Germantown:Black Rock Center for the Arts, Breezy Acres Ministry, Button Farm Living History Center, Capital Area Telugu Society, Capitol Polo Foundation, Childhood Brain Tumor Foundation, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints Seneca Maryland Stake, Dayspring Church Inc, DC Metro Sai Samsthan, Equipment Connections for Children, Firebirds Track Club, Germantown Historical Society, Germantown Oktoberfest, Housing Initiative Partnership, Holy Cross Germantown Hospital, Hope for Lives in Sierra Leone, I-270 Youth Sports Association LLC, Izaak Walton League – Rockville Chapter, Journey’s Crossing, Longview School, Maryland Leadership Workshops Inc, MCPS Student Affairs Office, Messiah Lutheran Church, Montgomery County Little League, Neelsville Presbyterian Church, Operation Second Chance, Our Lady of the Visitation, Tacy Foundation, Trinity United Methodist Church, UMAC Baseball – Upper Montgomery Athletic Club, Vietnamese American Education Assoc, Volunteer Center Montgomery County
Gaithersburg:American Association of University Women, AMU Alumni Association, Asbury Methodist Village, Bethany Presbyterian Church, Bethany Presbyterian Church (Korean School), Big Brothers Big Sisters of the National Capital Area, Capital Region Pony Club, Chabad Lubavitch of Upper Montgomery County, Chinese Culture and Community Service Center, City of Gaithersburg, Civil Air Patrol-BCC Composite Squadron, C&O Family Chess Center: USCF Affiliate, Community Support Services Inc, Covenant United Methodist Church, CSAAC-Community Services for Autistic Adults & Children, Culture Center of T.E.C.R.O., Dwelling Place, Emory Grove United Methodist Church, Episcopal Church of the Ascension, Epworth United Methodist Church, Fairhaven United Methodist Church, Family Services, First African Methodist Episcopal Church, Friendship Star Quilters, FSI Youth Services, Gaithersburg Chinese Alliance Church, Gaithersburg Chinese School, Gaithersburg Community Soup Kitchen, Gaithersburg Help, Gaithersburg Meals on Wheels, Gaithersburg Presbyterian Church, Gaithersburg Corvette Club, God’s Connection Transition Inc, Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, Goshen United Methodist Church, Grace United Methodist Church, Habitat for Humanity Metro Area, Hospice Caring Inc, House with a Heart Pet Sanctuary, Humane Society of the US, Humanity TV Inc, Identity, International Cultural Center, Islamic Center of Maryland, JSS Spiritual Mission, Kehilat Shalom, Korean Community Service Center of Greater Washington, Manna Food Center, Mercy Health Clinic, Metropolitan Ballet Theater and Academy, MOCO Multisport, Montgomery College – Workforce Development and Continuing Education, Montgomery County Agricultural Center, Montgomery County Board of Elections, Montgomery County Muslim Foundation, Montgomery County Office of Emergency Mgmt & Homeland Security, Montgomery County Police Department, Montgomery Village Foundation, Montgomery Village Health Care Center, Montgomery Village Sports Association-Wrestling, Muddy Branch Alliance, National Brain Tumor Society, NIST, Potomac Valley Youth Orchestra, Prince of Peace Lutheran Church, Rebuilding ?Together Montgomery County, Red Raider Softball Inc, Rockville Evangelical Mission Church, Seneca Creek Community Church, Seneca Creek State Park, Shaare Torah, UCF/CYBM-Youth Development Org, Unexpected Stage Company, Washington Care Foundation, Westleigh Recreation Club, Willows Apartments, Women Who Care Ministries Inc
Mount Airy:Damascus Road Community Church
All Areas:Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, all Montgomery County Public Libraries, Montgomery County Recreation Dept.
Yearlong and/or ongoing opportunities:
Damascus, MD 20872
Senior Nutrition Program
Damascus, MD 20872
Sep 01, 2007 - (Ongoing)
Department of Health and Human Service
As Well As:
- Public Libraries (Damascus 240-773-9444 and Germantown 240-777-0110)
- Montgomery County Rec Center 240-777-6870
- Local Elementary Schools and PTA’s
- Damascus Senior Center 240-777-6995
- Interfaith Works 751 Twinbrook Parkway Rockville 301-424-3796