MCPS Schools will be open 5 Days a Week for In-person learning for the 2021-2022 School Year: Learn more
Return to School
Ask a Question
- Ask Us a Question
- Parent Technical Help Number: 240-740-7020
Mrs. Maureen Enstrom, Counselor
What Does a Counselor Do?
- Talks to students individually or in groups
- Visits classrooms and participates in classroom activities
- Helps identify needs of students
- Helps students learn how to get along together
- Promotes PACE (learn more at the PBIS page)
- Works together with teachers and parents to help students
- Coordinates efforts with other school specialists
From Whom Does the Counselor Get Help?
- Teachers and parents
- Pupil personnel workers
- Doctors, psychologists and other health professionals
A Counselor Is...
- A certified, trained, caring person
- A resource person, a coordinator, a counsultant, and a group leader
- A person who helps people understand children
- A person who helps children understand themsevles
Where Can You See the Counselor?
- In the counselor's office
- In the classroom
- In the cafeteria
- In the hallway
- Outside the school
How Can a Student See the Counselor?
- Self referral
- Parent referral
- Teacher or principal referral
- Friend referral
- Drop in
A Counselor Counsels Students Individually and in Groups to...
- Help students develop self understanding and self awareness
- Help students increase self-confidence and self-esteem
- Help students recognize and use their capabilities
- Give students a chance to talk about education and social concerns
- Help students recognize, understand and work through learning differences
- Help students adjust to their school and home environments
- Help students in the decision making process
How Does a Counselor Know About Current Ideas In Counseling?
- In service training sessions
- Workshops and seminars
- Conventions and conferences
- Regular counselor meetings
- Continuing education classes
- County, state, and national meetings
A Counselor's Job Requires These Qualifications
- Graduate degree in counseling from an approved college program
- Maryland state certification
- A caring, sensitive personality
- A love of children