MCPS Schools will be open 5 Days a Week for In-person learning for the 2021-2022 School Year: Learn more
Return to School
Ask a Question
- Ask Us a Question
- Parent Technical Help Number: 240-740-7020
Big Learning Foreign Language: FLES
FLES is the "Foreign Language in Elementary Schools" program started by Montgomery County PTA parents in the 1970s. The nonprofit Big Learning continues to offer the FLES program and strongly believes that a child whose curiosity about another language and culture is awakened will be better prepared to participate and interact in our increasingly global community.
Big Learning offers FLES Spanish and French language instruction for students in grades 3-5 at Chevy Chase Elementary school.
- Big Learning provides high quality programs taught by trained, native Spanish and French-speaking individuals who have classroom experience with young children.
- The focus is on exposure to a foreign language with emphasis on oral acquisition through songs, games, cultural notes and a proven, sequential curriculum.
- Classes are conveniently held right at CCES, immediately before or after school.
- FLES teachers make learning fun! The program emphasizes oral acquisition through songs, games, and cultural notes.
- Big Learning is committed to equity and open to all. The FLES program is a non-profit which aims to keep tuition affordable. Payment plans and scholarships are available.
- One-hour classes meet once a week from October through May.
Before school at Chevy Chase ES: French and Spanish Mondays, 7:50-8:50
French or Spanish Beginner Level grades 3-5: Open a window to another culture, make discoveries and start to communicate! Build practical language skills in a fun and informal setting - ask & answer questions, describe, identify, compare, count, make plans and play games! 12-wk session; no prerequisite.
Monday PM Beginner classes at CCES: Oct 7, 14, 21, 28 Nov 4, 11, 18, 25 Dec 2, 9,16, Jan 6 / 12 week program $299*
Intermediate/Advanced Level grades 3-5: You’re on your way! Gain confidence in
speaking and comprehension, expand your vocabulary and start to read and write.
You will be amazed that you can share your ideas with friends, tell time, count
to 1,000, plan a vacation, write and present your autobiography, pretend to
shop or visit a restaurant, navigate a city map, lead a game, and more!
24-wk session for children with Beginner level or previous experience with the
Monday PM Intermediate/Advanced class at CCES: Oct 7, 14, 21, 28 Nov 4, 11, 18, 25 Dec 2, 9,16, Jan 6, 13 Feb 3, 10, 24 Mar 2, 9, 16, 23, 30 Apr 20, 27 May 4 / 24 week program $499*
After school at North Chevy Chase ES: French, Spanish and Chinese Fridays,
Both Beginner and Intermediate/Advanced classes are offered after school at NCC. Please check with your CCES school office about availability of school bus service from CCES to NCC on Fridays after school. Bus arrives in time for 4:00 pm class and FLES teachers can wait for students in NCC front office hallway.
Register now to get the
Early Bird discount--$10 off each class before September 20, 2019
Select the school on the link below to view and register for classes
*Note that scholarships and payment plans are available for all Big Learning programs.
Program Director, Foreign Language: FLES
11721 Kemp Mill Road
Silver Spring, MD 20902