MCPS Schools will be open 5 Days a Week for In-person learning for the 2021-2022 School Year: Learn more
Return to School
Ask a Question
- Ask Us a Question
- Parent Technical Help Number: 240-740-7020
Mrs. Greif's Counselor's Corner
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose."- Dr. Seuss
Monday-Friday from 8:20-3:50
My email: Rachel_S_Greif@mcpsmd.org
I am thrilled to be the school counselor at Brooke Grove ES for my seventh year! This will be my 18th year in MCPS. Prior to coming to BGES I was the school counselor at Chevy Chase Elementary School for 3 years. Before I began school counseling I was a middle school math teacher for 8 years! I knew I always wanted to become a school counselor so I am thrilled be able to do so.
I am full time at BGES! I have two beautiful children (ages 8 and 10). My family is the most important thing to me and I am lucky to be able to center my life and activities around my husband, children, dog (Diggy) and extended family. I also enjoy playing field hockey and lacrosse, watching football (go, Redskins!), watching movies, reading, math, dogs, cooking, going to the beach, and spending time with friends.
I am so excited to work and live in the BGES Community! I look forward to working with the students, parents, and staff here at BGES. Please feel free to contact me with any concerns or questions regarding your children and their social/emotional and academic well- being. I believe in working as a team to achieve optimal success for every student!
News and Important Dates...
*Please contact me with any questions or concerns regarding your children, need help finding community resources, or just to introduce yourself!
Please let me know if you are in need of school supplies! I might be able to help!
* We are all about super powers this year! What is your super power? This year students will be introduced to a monthly super power!
My Role as a School Counselor:
Description of school counseling at the elementary level
Check out my School Counseling Brochure!!
Self Referral Form
- Self Referral form for K-1 & LCandSelf-Referral Form for gr. 2-5A note requesting to see me (form used for all grade levels)
- Building Community with Restorative Circles
- Rude vs. Mean vs. Bullying- Defining the Differences
- These are great children's books that promote a growth mindset!
- 37 Techniques to Calm an Anxious Child
- 6 Children's Booke to Encourage Mindful, Happy Kids
- How to ask your child how their school day was click here.
- 50 Calm down strategies to try with your kids!
- Article on Anxiety: Anxiety in Kids: How to turn it around and protect them from life
- Article on shyness, self-compassion, and minfulness! Click Here!
- Need advice on internet safety? Check out http://www.netsmartz.org and http://www.netsmartzkids.org/
- Article on Rude vs. Mean vs. Bullying. How do define the differences: http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/2188819
- How to handle an angry child: http://pulptastic.com/26-phrases-calm-angry-child/
- Call or text for help with a trained specialist when in crisis. Click here for lifeline support provided by the Mental Health Association.
As I go into your child's room for guidance lessons, I will give out a newsletter after each lesson. Please look in your child's folder each night :)
Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports
We are RESPECTFUL, RESPONSIBLE, and READY TO LEARN!!!
- Every morning we have mind up time where we take time to relax, regroup, and get ready for theday!
- Our mind bell helps us to focus and recharge after a hectic morning.
- Too find out more about Mind up time take a look at Hawn Foundation: http://thehawnfoundation.org/mindup/
- Check out the video I showed your kids about why we need Mind Up time:
An Article about Mindfulness at School
How to incorportate mindfulness at all ages- Mindfulness and Children- the Essential Guide
Every classroom has a calm space!
- Every person needs to learn to cope with their feelings. The calm space gives us a place to take the time to calm down!
While we aren't specifically focusing on the character counts character traits every month- they are still important!
Links and Resources
Positive Parenting and other Articles:
Check out these articles on parenting:
- Positive Discipline for Attention Seeking Behavior
- Toxic Effects of Shaming Children
- 64 Encouraging Things to Say to Kids
- Why Failure Hits Girls So Hard- Article
Parenting Tips http://www.boystown.org/parenting
Kids Relaxation http://kidsrelaxation.com/?cat=20\
Take advantage of that time to talk to your children about healthy, respectful choices. Find some materials to support your discussion here
When a tragedy strikes it's often difficult to know how to discuss these incidents with your children. Tell them too much and you could add to their anxiety. Tell them too little and they may be confused and scared without the reassurance they need. The Johns Hopkins Children’s Center's website at http://www.hopkinschildrens.org/index.aspx, offers these tips from child psychiatrist Patrick Kelly, M.D. and child psychologist Renee DeBoard-Lucas, Ph.D. Read the article here!
The 10 Tools http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/ten-tools
These proven tools can help you feel stronger and more hopeful. Click on links for specific tips.
1.Connect with others
3.Get physically active
5.Get enough sleep
6.Create joy and satisfaction
8.Take care of your spirit
9.Deal better with hard times
10.Get professional help if you need it
Frequently Asked Questions about the things related to school counseling
Collaborative for Academic, Social, Emotional, Learning (C.A.S.E.L.)'s Top 10Tips at Home
American School Counseling Association's (ASCA) Description and Explaination of Elementary School Counselors.
- Parent Academy- Educational seminars and information to support parenting skills and knowledge
- Family and Community- Tons of great resources for all of the families and communities in MCPS
- Parent Support- Links and information specifically related to parents of MCPS students
- Middle School Magnets- Information about the middle school magnet programs
Community Resource Links:
- Mental Health Association, Montgomery County - MoCo's M.H.A. full of a variety of amazing trainings, programs and information
- Whole Child- An incredible wealth of information about recognition of the child as a whole (social, emotional, academic...)
- Local Therapist- A list of some local therapist in the Olney area