MCPS Schools will be open 5 Days a Week for In-person learning for the 2021-2022 School Year: Learn more
Return to School
Ask a Question
- Ask Us a Question
- Parent Technical Help Number: 240-740-7020
Student Service Learning (SSL)
Students in Montgomery County Public Schools (MCPS) must complete 75 hours of student service learning (SSL) before graduation from High School.
MCPS Service Learning Website (Lots of information about service learning)
Learn about how to find approved SSL opportunities: How To Video to find SSL opportunities
Career and Innovation Summit through Community Bridges Program-April 27th at Montgomery College in Silver Spring. Girls attending will meet innovators, career experts, and local nonprofit professionals through interactive workshops and group challenges. They will also be able to learn about summer jobs, internships, and sign up for SSL hour opportunities! Free event and Free lunch! Link to register: www.communitybridges-md.org/cbgirlsconnect
- Verification of Student Service Learning Activity Form
(Students must fill out this form to get service learning credit outside of school)
- Special Activity Application for Student Service Learning Form
Students must fill out this form if the activity they choose has not been pre-approved
Process for Completing Student Service Learning Activities
Before Completing Service:
- Select the type of service you wish to complete.
- Find an organization with which to serve.
- If MCPS Approved: DO SERVICE
- If Not:
- Complete a Special Activity Application for Student Service Learning form.
- Have form signed by organization and parentsTurn form in to SSL coordinator in your school.
- Once approved, DO SERVICE
After Completing Service
- Complete a Verification of Student Service Learning form. Complete the Reflection Statement.
- Have a supervisor fill out the "organization information" sectionTurn verification form in to SSL coordinator in your school. Hours cannot be recorded if forms are not received.
- The hours will show up on your report card.
Student Service Learning Hours Middle School Information
10 SSL hours are automatically attached to the records of Grade 6 students who successfully pass Grade 6 Science and participate in their service learning activity infused into the curriculum. 10 SSL hours are automatically attached to the records of Grade 7 students who successfully pass Grade 7 English and participate in their service learning activity infused into the curriculum.
10 SSL hours are automatically attached to the records of Grade 8 students who successfully pass Grade 8 Social Studies and participate in their service learning activity infused into the curriculum.
At the conclusion of the above courses, the teacher must report SSL hours earned by each student to the SSL coordinator. This is consistent with the high school model of crediting curriculum-connected service learning hours when a course is successfully completed. This allows a teacher to give a student the 10 hours if they fail the course but complete the service learning component. Conversely, if a student passes the course but does not complete the service learning component, the hours may be removed from their record. If the student successfully completes the course and service learning component, no action is required of either the teacher or service learning coordinator because the hours will be automatically recorded. If there are questions from parents, they can be directed to Ms. Clarke in the Guidance Office.