Be present. Be prepared. Be engaged.
MCPS Attendance Outreach and Support Protocol
In addition to problem solving around students with emotional and behavioral concerns, Student Well-Being Teams will coordinate the regular review of attendance and engagement data and will meet on a regular basis. Strategies will move away from notifications and warnings towards outreach, problem solving, and support. Regular meetings (led or co-led by the pupil personnel worker) will consider each unique student and family situation. Recommended outreach and support will consider a variety of factors, including:
- Unique circumstances of the student or family
- Previously implemented outreach and support
- Attendance trends
Student Well-Being Teams will identify which staff members will be responsible for specific parent outreach. Parent outreach should include:
- Multiple documented attempts to reach parent/guardian via phone, text, or email during different times of the day
- Multiple attempts to reach parent/guardian through additional contact information of known siblings or emergency contacts
- Attempts to arrange to meet the parent/guardian and student virtually
- In circumstances when all outreach above is unsuccessful, staff members may reach out to known friends of the student
Problem Solving and Support
- Initial outreach to parent/guardian, designed to:
- Educate the student and parent/guardian on the importance of regular live, virtual lesson attendance and engagement, or the access of recorded lessons;
- Informally problem solve to determine why the student is not participating in the live virtual lessons or their recordings; and
- Provide resources or support to address the issue.
- More formal problem solving, including parent and student, if appropriate, to:
- Consider root causes of student’s lack of attendance and/or engagement;
- Plan interventions to address the root causes; and
- Plan to monitor impact of interventions and support.