MCPS Schools will be open 5 Days a Week for In-person learning for the 2021-2022 School Year: Learn more
Return to School
Ask a Question
- Ask Us a Question
- Parent Technical Help Number: 240-740-7020
Ms. Johnson believes that:
- All students have unique and individual personal potential and are capable of achieving their potential if given appropriate opportunities
- All students are entitled to be treated with dignity and respect
- All students have the right to a safe, nurturing and encouraging learning environment which supports and enhances student achievement
- All students have the right to be served by a professional school counselor as well as by a developmentally appropriate and comprehensive school counseling curriculum
- All students are unique and deserve a person to advocate for them
Ms. Johnson works with students in a variety of ways. She teaches lessons in the classrooms, has student groups, and sometimes works one on one with students. She teaches students ways to get along with others and how to solve problems. Ms. Johnson also spends time helping parents and teachers.
The mission of Bel Pre's counseling program is for every student to acquire the academic, career, and social/ emotional skills to be successful students and become responsible and productive citizens. The School Counseling programs goal is to be able to contribute positively and successfully to the educational, emotional/social, and career development of all students, through advocacy, equitable practices, character development, leadership, collaboration, self- awareness, and academic achievement. By working collaboratively with staff, parents, and community members a supportive, safe, and caring atmosphere will develop to promote academic achievement and perseverance in all students. We are committed to fostering these essential skills for children to be prepared to work to their fullest potential of being a life-long learner in a vastly changing society.
The program encompasses 3 core tiers. Combined, they ensure that all students and staff have the opportunity to receive ongoing social and emotional learning (SEL) support, in a customized, data driven way. Tiers include:
Tier 1: System support
• Bel pre school-wide
• SEL (i.e. classroom lessons, coaching, professional learning, PAX Program, etc.)
Tier 2: Responsive services
• Short term, direct
• Student SEL support related to, for example, new school, grief, stress management, etc.
Tier 3: Individual student planning
• Long term, weekly and sometimes daily, direct student support, related to individual SEL goals.
The purpose of the De Bug system is to equip children with a series of steps they can use to solve problems when others are “bugging “them. The 5 De Bug steps are 1) Ignore. If that doesn’t work…2) Move away. If that doesn’t work…3) Talk friendly. If that doesn’t work…4) Talk firmly. If that doesn’t work…5) Get adult help.
Bullying is never allowed at Bel Pre Elementary School. For more information on this important topic, click on the following link: