Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School’s Annual Writing Contest
We invite Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School students in grades 9-12 to submit for judging original short stories, poems, personal essays, and/or one-act plays by January 31, 2020.
- Short Story -- no more than 2,000 words
- Poetry -- no more than 2 pages
- Personal Essay -- no more than 1,000 words
- One Act Play -- no more than 8 pages
Entries should be sent by January 31, 2020 to: Dawn_Charles@mcpsmd.org and meet the following criteria:
- Email subject line should include: Contest FULL NAME CATEGORY (example: Contest Dawn Charles Poetry)
- Send as a Word or GoogleDoc attachment. No pdf files.
- May submit only one entry per category but may enter several categories.
First Place: $50.00, sponsored by the BCC HS Educational Foundation, publication in Chips 2020, and gift certificate to the Writer’s Center.
Second Place: $25.00 Sponsored by the BCC HS Educational Foundation.
Honorable Mention: Certificate.
All work submitted should meet guidelines for student publications in Montgomery County Public Schools.
All entries will be judged. Entries will be reviewed at the school level by a committee of B-CC staff and students from the Chips staff. Entries selected to advance to the next level will be judged by writers from The Writer’s Center.
Winners will be notified by the sponsors of the contest. All winners will be invited to read their work at a reception to be hosted in their honor at the Writer’s Center.
All entries submitted for this contest will automatically be considered for publication in Chips Pieces already submitted to Chips may also be entered into the contest.
For more information, contact Dawn Charles at Dawn_Charles@mcpsmd.org.
Sponsored by the Bethesda-Chevy Chase HS English Department; B-CC’s literary-arts magazine, Chips; the Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School Educational Foundation; and The Writer’s Center.