ATTENDANCE POLICY AND PROCEDURES
Attendance Secretary: Patricia Hernandez
Attendance Reporting: (240) 740-6370
LATE ARRIVAL or EARLY DEPARTURE
- Adults picking up students from school, even parents, should present a photo ID to the attendance secretary. We cannot allow a student to leave with someone who is not on their emergency contacts without a written note from the parent. This is MCPS policy.
- If someone other than a person listed in the child’s emergency contacts is picking your child up early, please write “I give permission to (name of person) to pick up (student’s name) for (reason)."
- Parents/guardians must provide a note regarding attendance, signed by a parent/guardian, which can be submitted as documentation. Sometimes doctors and dentists will generate notes for you as well. Escorting a student into the building is not necessary if the students have a signed note. Students should report to the main office upon late arrival to get a pass to class.
- If a student is departing early from school, the student should bring the note to the office upon arrival to school to be issued a pass.
Remember that three (3) unexcused tardies equals one (1) unlawful absence.
If your child will be absent from school:
- You may also email our attendance secretary about the absence and this will serve as written documentation. OR
- The student may bring a written note, signed by a parent/guardian, or a doctor's note upon return to school as documentation.
If you wish to inform us of a known absence on the day of the absence, you may call 240.740.6370. Written documentation will still be necessary as a follow-up to the call.
If your child is out sick for five (5) or more consecutive days, a doctor’s note is required.
An automated call goes out each evening to parents/guardians of every MCPS student who has been marked absent for part, or all, of the day - even if parents have notified the school already. If this report is in error, please do not hesitate to contact Ms. Hernandez, email preferred, at firstname.lastname@example.org to see which teacher(s) marked your child absent. Parents may then email the specific teacher(s) to have the record corrected if an error was made.
There is a direct relationship between school attendance and student achievement. Students are to attend every scheduled class, on time, each day unless there is a legitimate reason for an absence. The school day begins at 8:15 a.m. and ends at 3:00 p.m.
Legitimate reasons for a student's absence, tardiness, and dismissals are:
- Certified illness of the student
- Physical and mental incapacity
- Court summons
- Religious holiday
- Work or activity accepted by school authorities
- Death in the immediate family
- State emergency
- Violent storm
Vacations are not excused absences. The principal may issue an exception in extraordinary circumstances. Administrators may approve an absence at least one week in advance. It is the student’s responsibility to gather any assignments they will be missing.
A physician’s note is REQUIRED if a student is absent 5 days or more.
The Maryland State Department of Education, Maryland Student Records System Manual, has revised its definition of full and half-day attendance. Therefore, “a student is counted present for a full day if the student is in attendance for at least two (2) hours of the school day, but less than four (4) hours.
See Montgomery County Public Schools Regulation, JEA-RA, and Student Attendance for more information.