Student Service Learning - Information and Opportunities
Support your community, explore career interests, tackle issues that are important to you, and feel good about the work you’re doing while meeting the Student Service Learning (SSL) graduation requirement!
Check out these important November 2023 SSL Updates to learn more about SSL opportunities, documentation, and how to stay up to date on your SSL record and activity.
Upcoming November SSL Opportunities!
- Mental Health Awareness Week 2022 (October 30 - November 4, 2023) - MCPS and the Montgomery County School Psychologists’ Association (MCSPA) will host a weeklong expo to give students the opportunity to hear from mental health experts on issues that are important to them, featuring daily themes, dynamic speakers and informational videos, as well as two live virtual events.
- Students may earn up to 9.5 SSL hours for viewing videos, attending virtual workshops, and participating in follow-up advocacy action throughout the week.
- More details can be found at the following link: https://montgomerycountymd.galaxydigital.com/need/detail/?need_id=862885
For additional information, visit https://ww2.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/mental-health/fair/index.aspx for updates that will be posted soon.
Lynching Memorial Marker Dedication Ceremony (November 11, 2023, 2PM-4PM) - High school students are invited to attend the Montgomery County Commission on Remembrance and Reconciliation’s Mr. Diggs-Dorsey and Mr. Randolph memorial marker dedication ceremony at 100 Maryland Avenue Rockville, MD 20850, on Saturday, November 11, 2 PM - 4 PM. Register to attend: https://tinyurl.com/rnms7w7n. Students will earn up to 2 SSL hours for attending. Learn more here.
- Changemaker Workshops (November 14 and 15, 2023, 6:30PM-8PM) - Join local and student activists in a virtual changemaker workshop as they teach students and parents how to effectively challenge social justice issues and inequities in their communities.
- Students may earn 2 SSL hours for attending and actively participating in the workshop.
- November 14, 6:30PM-8PM - Secondary (English)
- November 15, 6:30PM-8PM - Secondary (Spanish)
Additional details can be found at the following link: https://montgomerycountymd.galaxydigital.com/need/detail/?need_id=865358
- “Speak Up, Save A Life” PSA Contest (Deadline: November 17, 2023) - The Montgomery County State’s Attorney’s Office is hosting a Public Service Announcement (PSA) contest for middle school and high school students that challenges teens to create an original video to promote awareness of the dangers of opioid abuse or overdose and fentanyl among teens.
- Participants who submit a PSA that meets the contest requirements will earn 10 SSL hours and have a chance to win prizes.
- To learn more, please visit this link: https://montgomerycountymd.galaxydigital.com/need/detail/?need_id=859970
Students may find additional SSL organizations and opportunities on the Volunteer Center website; these organizations and opportunities are identified with the blue MCPS SSL graduation cap icon. A complete list of current nonprofit-hosted SSL opportunities may be found at the following quick links: https://bit.ly/SSLOpportunities and https://bit.ly/VirtualSSL2020