Board of Education → Meetings → June 16, 2011
Board of Education Meeting: June 16, 2011
Watch Meeting by Agenda Item
- Full Agenda (PDF)
- Approval of the Agenda; Recognition of Scholarship Recipients
Recognition of Distinguished Hispanic Scholars The Board congratulated the 23 recipients of this year's Distinguished Hispanic Scholars Awards, given by the Hispanic Alliance for Education of MCPS. The organization awarded scholarships totaling $10,000 to these distinguished scholars with the highest grade point averages who are committed to exemplary community involvement.
Leadership Montgomeryâ€”Youth Community Leadership Awards: The Board congratulated this year's four Leadership Montgomeryâ€”Youth Community Leadership Award recipients for their outstanding demonstration of leadership in community service. The law firm of Shulman, Rogers, Gandal, Pordy and Ecker, P.A., sponsors the award and presented $1,000 to each recipient:
- Wendy Cai, Richard Montgomery High School
- Michael Hagan, Jr., Damascus High School
- Benjamin Lewis, Thomas S. Wootton High School
- Caroline Pledger, James Hubert Blake High School
The Gates Millennium Scholars Program Scholarship Recipients: The Board congratulated the four MCPS Class of 2011 Millennium Scholars. Each was awarded a four-year college scholarship:
- Ayesha Monga Kravetz, Quince Orchard High School
- Jackie Mutai, Wheaton High School
- Maria Paredes, Gaithersburg High School
- Phung Tran, Wheaton High School
Montgomery County Alliance of Black School Educators: The Board congratulated the 25 winners of this year's Distinguished African American Scholar Awards, presented by the Montgomery County Alliance of Black School Educators. The awards recognized the academic, leadership, and community service achievements of talented MCPS African American high school seniors.
The George B. Thomas Sr. Learning Academy, Inc. High Achievement Scholarship Recipients: The Board recognized 11 MCPS seniors who were awarded The George B. Thomas Sr. Learning Academy, Inc., High Achievement Scholarship. The scholarship program encourages students to become engaged in their education, strive for academic excellence, and engage in community service through volunteerism.
Recognition of Broad Prize Scholarship Recipients: The Board commended the dedication and commitment to education of the 2010 Broad Prize scholarship winners. MCPS was a 2010 finalist for the Broad Prize for Urban Education, enabling MCPS seniors to become eligible for college scholarships. The Eli and Edythe Broad foundation awarded scholarships totaling $250,000 to 13 MCPS graduating seniors with financial need whose grades have improved substantially over the course of their high school careers.
- Public Comments
- Board/Superintendent Comments
- Consent Items
- Human Resources
The Board approved the appointments of the following administrators:
- Troy E. Boddy, currently principal, Beall Elementary School, as director, Equity Initiatives Unit, Office of Human Resources and Development
- Jonathan I. Grabel, currently general partner, Baker Capital Corporation, as investment officer, Department of Financial Services
- Ruth P. Green, currently assistant principal, Newport Mill Middle School, as director, High School Instruction and Achievement, Department of Instructional Leadership Support
- Charles L. McGee, currently acting director, Division of Technology Support, as director, Division of Technology Support
- Genevieve L. Floyd, currently coordinator, Career and Postsecondary Partnerships, Department of Instructional Programs, as supervisor, Career and College Partnerships, Department of Instructional Programs
- Richard C. Shuman, Jr., currently facilities designer, Division of Construction, as director, Division of Construction
- Vasuki Rethinam, currently acting supervisor, Applied Research Unit, Office of Shared Accountability, as supervisor, Applied Research Unit, Office of Shared Accountability
- Juan M. Cardenas, director, Multimedia Services, Office of Communications, as administrative assistant, Office of Shared Accountability
- Veronica J. Matthewson, currently assistant principal, Watkins Mill High School, as administrative assistant, Office of School Performance
- Sherri A. Gorden, currently assistant principal, Cresthaven Elementary School, as principal, Cresthaven Elementary School
- Kimberly L. Kimber, currently turn-around principal, Global Partnership Schools, as principal, Burtonsville Elementary School
- Celeste D. King, currently assistant principal, S. Christa McAuliffe Elementary School, as principal, South Lake Elementary School
- Judith F. Lewis, currently principal, Wheaton Woods Elementary School, as principal, Burning Tree Elementary School
- Peter O. Moran, currently principal intern, Glen Haven Elementary School, as principal Glenallan Elementary School
- Douglas M. Robbins, currently principal intern, Brown Station Elementary School, as principal, Poolesville Elementary School
- Final Adoption of the FY 2012 Operating Budget
The Board of Education adopted the MCPS FY 2012 Operating Budget based on a May appropriation of $2.09 billion by the County Councilâ€”about $127 million lower than what is required by state law even though the district expects 3,300 more students next year. The final action is consistent with the tentative action previously taken by the Board on May 23, 2011. Based on changes identified by the Council, the Board-approved budget includes the elimination of funds for salary steps and longevity increases; reducing staff; and reducing contributions to the Retiree Health Benefit Trust Fund, employee benefit costs, and the instructional television special revenue fund. Including the budget approved on June 16, MCPS has eliminated 1,287 positions.
- Monthly Financial Report
- Board of Education Items
- Items of Information
This meeting is streamed in Windows Media format.
Get Windows Media
How to Watch by Agenda Item
Internet Explorer: Click on an agenda item to go to that segment of the video.
- Click on agenda item
- Click on "Watch Now" button to view video of that item (Internet Explorer only)
- Summary will appear if available
- To hide summary, click agenda item again
Firefox/Opera: Right click on the video player, select file markers, and then choose
the segment you want to watch.
Mac Users: In stand-alone player, select view, file markers, and choose the segment you want to watch. Launch stand-alone player
Technical problems: Contact Webmaster
Feedback: Tell us what you think
UpdatJune 21, 2011--> | Maintained by Web Services