Board of Education → Meetings → April 28, 2011
Board of Education Meeting: April 28, 2011
Watch Meeting by Agenda Item
- Click on agenda item
- Click on "Watch Now" button to view video of that item (Internet Explorer only)
- Summary will appear if available
- To hide summary, click agenda item again
- Full Agenda (PDF)
- Approval of the Agenda; Asian Pacific American Heritage Month; Teacher Appreciation Week
The Board recognized May, 2011 as Asian Pacific American Heritage Month in Montgomery County Public Schools. Read the Resolution
The Board recognized May 2-6, 2011 as Teacher Appreciation Week. Read the Resolution
- Public Comments
- Update on Superintendent Search
- Board/Superintendent Comments
- Human Resources and Development
The Board of Education approved the following administrative appointments, effective July 1:
- John W. Haas, currently acting principal, Silver Spring International Middle School, as principal, Silver Spring International Middle School
- Julie S. Hall, currently administrative assistant, Office of School Performance, as director, Division of Business, Fiscal, and Information Systems, Office of Special Education and Student Services
- Christopher S. Garran, currently principal, Walter Johnson High School, as community superintendent for the Bethesda-Chevy Chase, Walter Johnson, Wheaton, and Walt Whitman Clusters, Office of School Performance
- Karen Gregory, currently acting principal, Maryvale Elementary School, as principal, Maryvale Elementary School
- Sean P. McGee, currently acting principal, Damascus Elementary School, as principal, Damascus Elementary School
- Kelly Morris, currently acting principal, Somerset Elementary School, as principal, Somerset Elementary School
- R. Kevin Payne Jr., currently principal, Fallsmead Elementary School, as principal, Greencastle Elementary School
- Donna M. Sagona, currently acting principal, Laytonsville Elementary School, as principal, Laytonsville Elementary School
- Darryl L. Williams, currently principal, Montgomery Blair High School, as community superintendent for the Clarksburg, Damascus, Gaithersburg, Colonel Zadok Magruder, and Watkins Mill Clusters, Office of School Performance
- Consent Items
- Bethesdaâ€“Chevy Chase MS #2â€”Site Selection
The Board selected a site to be studied for a second middle school in the Bethesda-Chevy Chase cluster. A site selection advisory committee reviewed 10 sites in the Bethesda-Chevy Chase cluster for the new middle school. The Board selected the Rock Creek Hill Local Park, 3701 Saul Road in Kensington, as the site to be studied for the location of a new middle school.
A feasibility study will be conducted to determine the scope and cost of the project. A new school would be considered for inclusion in the 2013-2018 Capital Improvements Program.
- Monthly Financial Report
- Reauthorization of Elementary and Secondary Education Act
The Board held a wide-ranging discussion on the reauthorization of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), currently known by the name No Child Left Behind (NCLB). President Barack Obama has called on Congress to take action on ESEA reauthorization before the start of the 2011â€“2012 school year.
Several stakeholder groups have suggested if reauthorization cannot be completed by that time, legislation should be enacted to defer implementation of sanctions in the current bill. After the history of ESEA was reviewed, Board members discussed their views of what should be changed in the current version of the law. Read the Board briefing paper on ESEA.
- Board of Education Items
- Items of Information
This meeting is streamed in Windows Media format.
Get Windows Media
Internet Explorer: Click on an agenda item to go to that segment of the video.
Firefox/Opera: Right click on the video player, select file markers, and then choose the segment you want to watch.
Mac Users: In stand-alone player, select view, file markers, and choose the segment you want to watch. Launch stand-alone player
Technical problems: Contact Webmaster
Feedback: Tell us what you think
Updated May 12, 2011 | Maintained by Web Services