Board of Education → Meetings → Meeting Viewer: September 14, 2006
Board of Education Meeting: September 14, 2006
Watch Meeting by Agenda Item
Click on agenda item. Click on Watch Now button to view video of that item. Summary will appear if available.
Full Agenda (43K PDF)
- Approval of the Agenda
The Board declared the period of September 15 to October 15, 2006, to be observed as Hispanic Heritage Month, in recognition of the contributions of Hispanic Americans or Latinos to the present and future success of Montgomery County, the state of Maryland, and the nation.
- Public Comments
- Board/Superintendent Comments
- Oral Update on the Opening of Schools
The Board and staff members reviewed highlights of the first week of the 2006-2007 school year. Principals of three of the five schools that are new this year shared their experiences in preparing their buildings for the opening of school.
- Human Resources - Monthly Report
The Board approved the following administrative appointments:
- Juan M. Cardenas, currently project manager, Department of Communications, as team leader, Department of Communications
- Emmanuel Caulk, currently principal, Newark High School, Christina School District, Wilmington, Delaware, as supervisor of alternative programs, Department of Student Services
- Elizabeth Grace Chesney, currently coordinator, Middle School Initiatives, Office of Curriculum and Instructional Programs, as coordinator, Student Assessment, Department of Shared Accountability
- Nicola Diamond Milwit, currently administrative assistant, Office of Organizational Development, as executive assistant, Office of the Chief Operating Officer
- Consent Items
- Update on the Implementation of the Grading and Reporting Policy
This is the third year of phased-in implementation of Policy IKA, Grading and Reporting. The Board reviewed the status of the policyâ€™s implementation in the 2005-2006 school year and an outline of implementation steps taking place in the current school year. Major components are field testing of standards-based electronic report cards; a web-based grading and reporting system; and clarified procedures for reteaching/reassessment, homework, and grading. Field testing of standards-based grading and reporting in grades 1 and 2 continues in 19 schools this year. In 2007-2008, all MCPS schools with grades 1 and 2 will implement electronic standards-based procedures and standards-based report cards for students in those grades. Extensive data from users and advisory groups has been collected in order to guide changes and improvements.
- Recommendation to Approve Formation of Bargaining Unit of Noncertificated Supervisory Employees
The Board approved a process to begin negotiations on the formation of a bargaining unit of noncertificated supervisory employees. The superintendent will report the status of the negotiations to the Board at its October 10, 2006, meeting.
- Board of Education Items
- Items of Information
This meeting is streamed in Windows Media format.
Get Windows Media
Internet Explorer: Click on an agenda item to go to that segment of the video.
Firefox/Opera: Right click on the video player, select file markers, and then choose the segment you want to watch.
Mac Users: In stand-alone player, select view, file markers, and choose the segment you want to watch. Launch stand-alone player
Technical problems: Contact Webmaster
Feedback: Tell us what you think
Updated October 12, 2006 | Maintained by Web Services